Shotcut is really a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for linux, Windows and Mac shotcuts. Main functions consist of a wide variety of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and determination support to 4k.
Wide Format Support
Supports numerous video and audio formats and codecs as a result of FFmpeg. No import required which implies native editing, plus multi-format timelines, resolutions and frame-rates inside a project. Frame accurate seeking supported for a lot of video formats.
Device and Transport Options
Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring. Screen, webcam and audio capture. Network stream playback. Supports resolutions up to 4k and capture from SDI, HDMI, webcam, JACK & Pulse audio, IP stream, X11 screen and Windows DirectShow devices.
Sleek, Intuitive Interface
Multiple dockable and undockable panels, including detailed media properties, recent files with search, playlist with thumbnail view, filter panel, history view, encoding panel, jobs queue, and melted server and playlist. Will also support drag-n-drop of assets from file manager.
- You open files by drag-n-drop in addition to the usual menu and toolbar methods.
- Tap J, K, L to control playback speed and direction. Tap J or L repeatedly to go faster.
- Tap I or O to set the in and out points.
- Press left or right cursor keys to step frame-by-frame.
- Press page up or down to step one second at-a-time.
- Press alt+left or alt+right to jump between start, in, out, and end.
- Version is based on date. You can choose to update whenever you like and keep multiple versions (new versions are available monthly).